John Challenger (organ)
1. Air in D BWV 1068 (J. S. Bach arr. Gordon Phillips)
2. ‘Jesu, joy of man’s desiring’ BWV 147 (J. S. Bach arr. Maurice Duruflé)
3. Chanson de Matin (Edward Elgar arr. Herbert Brewer)
4. Adagio in G minor for strings and organ (Tomaso Albinoni / Remo Giazotto)
5. ‘Sheep may safely graze’ BWV 208 (J. S. Bach arr Stainton de B. Taylor)
6. Minuet from Berenice HWV 38 (G. F. Handel)
7. Sicilienne (attributed Maria Theresia von Paradis)
8. Air from Water Music HWV 348 (G. F. Handel)
9. The Swan from The Carnival of the Animals (Camille Saint-Saëns arr. Félix-Alexandre Guilmant)
10. Salut d’Amour (Edward Elgar arr. Edwin Lemare)
11. Chanson de Nuit (Edward Elgar arr. Herbert Brewer)
12. Rhosymedre (Ralph Vaughan Williams)
13. Pastorale: To a Wild Rose (Edward MacDowell arr. Charles P. Scott)
14. Andante tranquillo from Organ Sonata III (Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy)
15. Es ist ein Ros’ entsprungen (Johannes Brahms)
16. Prière à Notre-Dame from Suite Gothique (Léon Boëllmann)
Since January 2021 the Salisbury organists have been playing music to accompany vaccination sessions taking place inside the Cathedral.
This latest release from Salisbury Cathedral (entitled 'Salisbury Meditation – Music for the NHS') is a digital album of classics, all of which have been played during the vaccination sessions.
Funds raised from sales of this album will go to NHS Charities Together, the membership body for 241 NHS charities that give £1 million every day to help our hospitals do more. The album is on sale from the end of March 2021, and along with fundraising, it celebrates the work of Sarum South Primary Care Network team, who have topped over 20,000 jabs in the Cathedral since January.
A collaboration between John Challenger, the Cathedral’s Assistant Director of Music, and award-winning classical music recording producer and engineer Andrew Mellor of AJM Productions Ltd, it features sixteen tracks played by John on the Cathedral’s renowned Father Willis Organ. The album is being distributed by classical music specialist [PIAS] UK.
Recorded in Salisbury Cathedral on 22, 23, 24 February 2021.
Engineer, Producer and Editor: Andrew Mellor
Cover image © Declan Spreadbury