Beyond the Library Door - Sharing Books and Bindings
Beyond the Library Door is an exciting new project which will transform our knowledge of, access to, and care, of the books in the Cathedral Library as well as giving improved access to the archive collection. We started the project in autumn 2017 and expect to finish in autumn 2020 although some tasks, particularly cataloguing, will continue beyond then.
We are very lucky to have received generous funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund, The Pilgrim Trust, The Sackler Trust, Friends of Salisbury Cathedral and the William Delafield Charitable Trust.
Beyond the Library Door aims to:
- Create an online searchable database for all the library books and archive documents (a considerable upgrade from our current library catalogue which was printed in 1880!)
- Catalogue the library books in much greater detail than before. Alongside generic information such as the title, author and date of publication we will be recording copy specific information about the bindings, previous owners and the condition of each book.
- Clean all the library books with a team of 20 enthusiastic trained Library Preservation Volunteers (our conservator tells us they are very dusty!). Volunteers from St Mary’s Parish Gillingham will clean their own parish library books which are on loan to the Cathedral Library.
- Work closely with Sarum College Theological Library to help improve the cataloguing and care of their rare books – a collection very little known about.
- Run a series of talks, discovery days and events about the books and documents. These will be for everyone including children and community groups.
We shall also be posting regular blogs about how we’re getting on and what we have ‘re-discovered’ Beyond the Library Door – please do check here for regular updates.