History and Conservation
The first Salisbury Cathedral was completed at Old Sarum in 1092 under Osmund, the first Bishop of Salisbury. In 1220 the foundations were laid for the Cathedral on the site we are on today. Our Works Department use the many of the same materials and techniques to maintain and restore our building that were used by the craftspeople who built it 800 years ago. We rely on the generosity of our donors to continue this vital work.