"Thank you for a brilliant workshop. I enjoyed Gary’s tour and learnt a great deal of interesting info. Alan was very patient with my poor carving and his guidance, examples and demonstration were particularly helpful.”
For the third consecutive year the Works Department are putting on their ever popular two-day “Have a Go” stone carving courses. Running on Thursdays and Fridays throughout July and into the first week in August, a course costs £150 per person.
It doesn’t matter if you have never picked up a chisel before in your life, there is plenty of help at hand. The course starts with a behind-the-scenes tour around the workshops and gives you first-hand advice and knowledge to help you with your creative design. At the end of the last session anyone who wishes to can take a complimentary, optional Tower Tour. All pieces that you make are yours to take home with you. Don't hesitate to book - there are only ten places on each two-day course!
Dates: 7/8 July, 14/15 July, 28/29 July and 4/5 August** (see notes)
What to expect:
Thursday (9:00 - 17:00)
9:00 - A guided tour of our workshops with either Gary, our Clerk of the Works, or Lee, our Head Mason
9:30 - Tutoring begins. One of our masons will guide you through the carving process
10:15 - Tea/coffee break
12:30 - Lunch break
15:00 - Tea/coffee break
17:00 - Finish for the day
Friday (9:00 - 16:00)
9:00 - Tutoring continues
10:15 - Tea/coffee break
12:00 - Lunch
14:45 - Tea/coffee break
16:00 - Course ends/optional Tower Tour
Our workshops are located where the original masons would have worked during construction of the building. Courses are held in a gazebo, so you will be outside, but under cover. Pieces are left locked in the Works Yard overnight with the course re-starting at 9:00 on the Friday. Book your stone carving course here.
Previous attendees have left a wealth of useful and positive feedback from which we have learnt (and sometimes glowed!) so hopefully you will find it very enjoyable, we look forward to seeing you.
- Ideas for something you would like to carve (unless you are attending our August courses), for inspiration why not browse the gallery;
- Wear stout footwear;
- You are welcome to use our Refectory for lunch, or please feel free to bring a packed lunch if you prefer.
- and that’s it! All tools, pieces of stone and safety glasses will be provided.
You can book online here
- The Tower Tour involves climbing narrow, spiral staircases of a total of 332 steps; there is no need to book if you’re attending a stone carving course. Click here for more information.
- **The course on the 4th/5th August will specifically teach you how to make a carved flower panel (see picture above) for all other courses you will be helped to make what you would like.