The Cathedral Council
The Cathedral Council meets twice a year under the chairmanship of Lord Colin Sharman.
The Council has a duty to further and support the work of the Cathedral, spiritually and temporally, pastorally, evangelistically, socially and ecumenically, reviewing and advising upon the direction and oversight of that work by the Chapter.
Its role is:
- To consider proposals submitted by the Chapter in connection with the general direction and mission of the Cathedral and to give advice on them to the Chapter
- To receive and consider the annual budget of the Cathedral
- To receive and consider the annual report and audited accounts of the Cathedral
- To consider proposals submitted by the Chapter or by the Bishops in connection with the Constitution and Statutes of the Cathedral
- To perform such other functions, whether general or specific, as may be agreed by the Chapter after consultation with the Bishop.
The members of the Council are a lay chairman (who is not a member of the Chapter and is appointed by the Bishop), the Dean, five other members of the Chapter, two members of the College of Canons, two lay members of the Cathedral Community Forum and eight other persons, being persons having experience in connection with the work of the Cathedral.